By Mario Klarer
In this vintage beginner's consultant to English literature, Mario Klarer deals a concise and obtainable dialogue of critical matters within the learn of literary texts, having a look at:
- definitions of keywords equivalent to literature and text
- the genres of fiction, poetry, drama, and film
- periods and classifications of literature
- theoretical techniques to texts
- the use of secondary resources
- guidelines for writing study essays
The new and improved variation is totally up-to-date to include:
- a wider variety of textual examples from international literature
- additional references to modern cinema, a bit on comparative literature
- an prolonged survey of literary classes and genres
- recent adjustments in MLA guidelines
- information on cutting-edge quotation administration software
- the use and abuse of on-line resources.
The booklet additionally positive aspects feedback for extra analyzing in addition to an intensive thesaurus of key terms.
Read or Download An Introduction to Literary Studies PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Edward Ragg's examine is the 1st to envision the function of abstraction in the course of the paintings of Wallace Stevens. by way of tracing the poet's curiosity in abstraction from Harmonium via to his later works, Ragg argues that Stevens in simple terms totally liked and sophisticated this curiosity inside his later occupation. Ragg's particular close-readings spotlight the poet's absorption of past due 19th century and early 20th century portray, in addition to the examples of philosophers and different poets' paintings.
Many of the maximum thinkers and writers of our age, resembling Baudelaire, Rilke, Kleist, Freud and Kafka, meditate on play and the mysteries of inanimate lifestyles. The essays and reflections during this assortment discover the seriousness of play and the mysteries of inanimate existence – ‘the unknown areas, noises, dirt, misplaced items, and small animals that fill any residence’ – that have provoked many writers to take the aspect of those lifeless or non-human issues, leading to one of the most profound passages in literature.
Masculinity isn't really a monolithic phenomenon, yet a traditionally discontinuous one—a fabrication because it have been, of given cultural conditions. as a result of its opacity and instability, masculinity, like extra recognizable structures of oppression, resists discernibility. In Macho Ethics: Masculinity and Self-Representation in Latino-Caribbean Narrative, Jason Cortés seeks to bare the internal workings of masculinity within the narrative prose of 4 significant Caribbean authors: the Cuban Severo Sarduy; the Dominican American Junot Díaz; and the Puerto Ricans Luis Rafael Sánchez and Edgardo Rodríguez Juliá.
This quantity deals a different contribution to either postcolonial experiences and Austen scholarship by:* studying the texts to illumine 19th century attitudes to colonialism and the increasing Empire* revealing a brand new diversity of interpretations of Austen's paintings, each one formed by way of the critic's specific context* exploring the ways that the research of Austen's novels increases clean concerns for post-colonial feedback.
- The Picture of Dorian Gray. A Comparison of the two Versions
- Magical Realism in West African Fiction: Seeing with a Third Eye (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures)
- The Oxford English Literary History: Volume 10: The Modern Movement (1910-1940)
- Joyce and the Perverse Ideal (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- Plantation Airs: Racial Paternalism and the Transformations of Class in Southern Fiction, 1945–1971 (Southern Literary Studies)
Extra info for An Introduction to Literary Studies