By Margaret Lock,Vinh-Kim Nguyen
- Introduces biomedicine from an anthropological point of view, exploring the entanglement of fabric our bodies with background, setting, tradition, and politics
- Develops and integrates an unique concept: that the human physique in future health and affliction isn't really an ontological given yet a transportable, malleable entity
- Makes huge use of ancient and modern ethnographic fabrics world wide to demonstrate the significance of this methodological approach
- Integrates key new learn information with extra classical fabric, overlaying the administration of epidemics, famines, fertility and delivery, through army medical professionals from colonial occasions on
- Uses a variety of case reviews to demonstrate options resembling the worldwide commodification of human our bodies and physique components, sleek varieties of inhabitants, and the extension of biomedical applied sciences into household and intimate domains
- Winner of the 2010 Prose Award for Archaeology and Anthropology
Read or Download An Anthropology of Biomedicine: An Intro PDF
Similar anthropology books
First released in 1970. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Continuing from the daring and provocative declare that there by no means has been a entire and systematic conception of race, Mustafa Emirbayer and Matthew Desmond got down to reformulate how we predict approximately this so much tough of subject matters in American lifestyles. within the Racial Order, they draw on Bourdieu, Durkheim, and Dewey to give a brand new theoretical framework for race scholarship.
In his very important contribution to the turning out to be box of activities literature, Anthony Bateman strains the connection among literary representations of cricket and Anglo-British nationwide identification from 1850 to the mid Nineteen Eighties. studying newspaper money owed, tutorial books, fiction, poetry, and the paintings of editors, anthologists, and historians, Bateman elaborates the ways that a protracted culture of literary discourse produced cricket's cultural prestige and that means.
Modern political and public discourse has come alive with the problems and conflicts surrounding questions of nationwide id. regardless of the frequent sociological realization it has drawn for that reason, such a lot stories of nationwide id were carried out at huge analytical distance from the lived truth of nationwide identification speak.
- Applied Anthropology: Unexpected Spaces, Topics and Methods
- Towards the Elimination of Racism: Pergamon General Psychology Series
- Modern Environments and Human Health: Revisiting the Second Epidemiological Transition
- Wandering Peoples: Colonialism, Ethnic Spaces, and Ecological Frontiers in Northwestern Mexico, 1700–1850 (Latin America otherwise)
- Applying Theory to Policy and Practice: Issues for Critical Reflection
- After Katrina: Race, Neoliberalism, and the End of the American Century
Extra resources for An Anthropology of Biomedicine: An Intro