By Craig W. Kallendorf
- A finished creation and review of the classical culture - the translation of classical texts in later centuries
- Comprises 26 newly commissioned essays from a world group of experts
- Divided into 3 sections: a chronological survey, a geographical survey, and a piece illustrating the connections among the classical culture and modern theory
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Very similar to Greek and Roman mythology, Norse myths are nonetheless with us. recognized storytellers from JRR Tolkien to Neil Gaiman have drawn their concept from the long-haired, mead-drinking, marauding and pillaging Vikings. Their writer is a thirteenth-century Icelandic chieftain by means of the identify of Snorri Sturluson.
No guffawing topic is a wide-ranging number of new experiences of the comedian theatre of Athens, from its origins until eventually the 340s BCE. Fifteen overseas students hire an array of techniques and methodologies that might entice Classics and Theatre students whereas nonetheless ultimate obtainable to scholars.
The biographer Suetonius is likely one of the so much attention-grabbing writers of historic Rome, yet he's infrequently afforded critical serious realization. This quantity of latest essays specializes in a few of the features of Suetonius' paintings, from his misplaced biographical writing on Roman courtesans to his imperial photographs of the Caesars.
Bernhard von Breydenbach’s Peregrinatio in terram sanctam (Journey to the Holy Land), first released in 1486, is likely one of the seminal books of early printing and is mainly popular for the originality of its woodcuts. In Picturing adventure within the Early revealed e-book, Elizabeth Ross considers the Peregrinatio from numerous views to provide an explanation for its price for the cultural background of the interval.
- Prescribing Ovid: The Latin Works and Networks of the Enlightened Dr Heerkens
- Satiric Advice on Women and Marriage: From Plautus to Chaucer
- Oxford Readings in Ovid (Oxford Readings in Classical Studies)
- Flavius Josephus and Flavian Rome
- Cicero in Letters: Epistolary Relations of the Late Republic
- Erzähltheorie in mediävistischer Perspektive: Studienausgabe (De Gruyter Studium) (German Edition)
Additional info for A Companion to the Classical Tradition (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)