By Kirk Ormand
- First selection of its variety to supply introductory essays to the fragments of his misplaced performs and to the remainder fragments of 1 satyr-play, the Ichneutae, as well as each one of his extant tragedies
- Features new essays on Sophoclean drama that cross way past the present country of scholarship on Sophocles
- Presents readings that historicize Sophocles relating to the social, cultural, and highbrow international of 5th century Athens
- Seeks to put later interpretations and variations of Sophocles of their ancient context
- Includes essays devoted to problems with gender and sexuality; major moments within the background of examining Sophocles; and reception of Sophocles by means of either old and glossy playwrights
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Gentle and darkness performed a huge function past the department of time in historical Greek delusion and faith; the members to mild and Darkness in historical Greek fable and faith contemplate its functionality on either the person and social point as manifested in modes of suggestion and behaviour and expressed in language, ideals, ritual, and iconography.
Broadens the viewpoint of contemporary paintings at the discourse of the Muslim different in medieval Christendom through investigating pertinent texts, paintings, and artefacts, situating those neighborhood discourses of the Muslim different within the better cultural context of proto-Eurocentric discourse.
Industry strength explores society and economic system in medieval Iberia, reading the intersection of local advertisement pursuits, lordship, and royal authority as a part of the evolution of a small village right into a rural marketplace town.
Seminar paper from the 12 months 2014 within the topic English - background of Literature, Eras, grade: 1,0, college of Cologne, language: English, summary: This paper bargains with the areas, tools and contents of studying and learning in medieval England. approximately one hundred twenty colleges are identified to have existed in England through the interval among the Norman Conquest in 1066 and the Reformation in 1517 (Orme 1976: XI).
- Teaching Medieval and Early Modern Cross-Cultural Encounters (The New Middle Ages)
- Göttliche Stimme, irdische Schrift: Dante, Petrarca und Caterina da Siena (Trends in Medieval Philology) (German Edition)
- Statius Silvae 5: Bk. 5 (Oxford Classical Monographs)
- The Roman Book (Classical Literature and Society)
- The Invisible Satirist: Juvenal and Second-Century Rome
Additional resources for A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)