By Kirk Ormand
- First choice of its variety to supply introductory essays to the fragments of his misplaced performs and to the rest fragments of 1 satyr-play, the Ichneutae, as well as each one of his extant tragedies
- Features new essays on Sophoclean drama that cross well past the present country of scholarship on Sophocles
- Presents readings that historicize Sophocles with regards to the social, cultural, and highbrow international of 5th century Athens
- Seeks to put later interpretations and diversifications of Sophocles of their historic context
- Includes essays devoted to problems with gender and sexuality; major moments within the background of studying Sophocles; and reception of Sophocles through either historical and glossy playwrights
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Very similar to Greek and Roman mythology, Norse myths are nonetheless with us. well-known storytellers from JRR Tolkien to Neil Gaiman have drawn their notion from the long-haired, mead-drinking, marauding and pillaging Vikings. Their writer is a thirteenth-century Icelandic chieftain via the identify of Snorri Sturluson.
No giggling subject is a wide-ranging choice of new experiences of the comedian theatre of Athens, from its origins till the 340s BCE. Fifteen overseas students hire an array of methods and methodologies that may entice Classics and Theatre students whereas nonetheless ultimate available to scholars.
The biographer Suetonius is without doubt one of the so much attention-grabbing writers of historical Rome, yet he's hardly ever afforded critical serious realization. This quantity of recent essays makes a speciality of many of the facets of Suetonius' paintings, from his misplaced biographical writing on Roman courtesans to his imperial photos of the Caesars.
Bernhard von Breydenbach’s Peregrinatio in terram sanctam (Journey to the Holy Land), first released in 1486, is likely one of the seminal books of early printing and is mainly well known for the originality of its woodcuts. In Picturing event within the Early published publication, Elizabeth Ross considers the Peregrinatio from numerous views to give an explanation for its worth for the cultural background of the interval.
- Transkulturelle Verflechtungsprozesse in der Vormoderne (Das Mittelalter. Perspektiven mediävistischer Forschung. Beihefte) (German Edition)
- The Other Virgil: `Pessimistic' Readings of the Aeneid in Early Modern Culture (Classical Presences)
- Authors of the Middle Ages, Volume III, Nos 7–11: English Writers of the Late Middle Ages: 3
- A Companion to Persius and Juvenal (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
Extra info for A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)