By Peter E. Knox
- Features greater than 30 newly commissioned chapters by way of famous students writing of their components of specialization
- Illuminates a variety of elements of Ovid's paintings, corresponding to construction, style, and style
- Presents interpretive essays on key poems and collections of poems
- Includes particular discussions of Ovid's fundamental literary impacts and his reception in English literature
- Provides a chronology of key literary and historic occasions in the course of Ovid's lifetime
Read or Download A Companion to Ovid (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Very like Greek and Roman mythology, Norse myths are nonetheless with us. recognized storytellers from JRR Tolkien to Neil Gaiman have drawn their proposal from the long-haired, mead-drinking, marauding and pillaging Vikings. Their writer is a thirteenth-century Icelandic chieftain by way of the identify of Snorri Sturluson.
No guffawing subject is a wide-ranging selection of new stories of the comedian theatre of Athens, from its origins till the 340s BCE. Fifteen foreign students hire an array of methods and methodologies that may entice Classics and Theatre students whereas nonetheless last obtainable to scholars.
The biographer Suetonius is among the so much interesting writers of old Rome, yet he's hardly afforded critical serious cognizance. This quantity of recent essays specializes in some of the points of Suetonius' paintings, from his misplaced biographical writing on Roman courtesans to his imperial photographs of the Caesars.
Bernhard von Breydenbach’s Peregrinatio in terram sanctam (Journey to the Holy Land), first released in 1486, is among the seminal books of early printing and is principally well known for the originality of its woodcuts. In Picturing adventure within the Early revealed ebook, Elizabeth Ross considers the Peregrinatio from quite a few views to give an explanation for its price for the cultural historical past of the interval.
- The Footprints of Michael the Archangel: The Formation and Diffusion of a Saintly Cult, c. 300-c. 800 (The New Middle Ages)
- Bausteine zu einer Narratologie der Dinge: Der 'Eneasroman' Heinrichs von Veldeke, der 'Roman d'Eneas' und Vergils 'Aeneis' im Vergleich (Hermaea. Neue Folge) (German Edition)
- Ovid's Early Poetry: From his Single Heroides to his Remedia Amoris
- Politeness and Politics in Cicero's Letters
- Juvenal: Satire 6 (Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics)
Additional info for A Companion to Ovid (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)