By Marilyn B. Skinner
- Explores the paintings of Catullus, the most effective Roman ‘lyric poets’
- Provides discussions approximately creation, style, kind, and reception, in addition to interpretive essays on key poems and teams of poems
- Grounds Catullus within the socio-historical international round him
- Chapters problem obtained knowledge, current unique readings, and recommend new interpretations of biographical evidence
Read or Download A Companion to Catullus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Very like Greek and Roman mythology, Norse myths are nonetheless with us. well-known storytellers from JRR Tolkien to Neil Gaiman have drawn their thought from the long-haired, mead-drinking, marauding and pillaging Vikings. Their writer is a thirteenth-century Icelandic chieftain via the identify of Snorri Sturluson.
No guffawing topic is a wide-ranging selection of new stories of the comedian theatre of Athens, from its origins till the 340s BCE. Fifteen overseas students hire an array of methods and methodologies that might entice Classics and Theatre students whereas nonetheless closing obtainable to scholars.
The biographer Suetonius is among the so much attention-grabbing writers of historic Rome, yet he's hardly afforded severe severe cognizance. This quantity of latest essays makes a speciality of a few of the elements of Suetonius' paintings, from his misplaced biographical writing on Roman courtesans to his imperial pictures of the Caesars.
Bernhard von Breydenbach’s Peregrinatio in terram sanctam (Journey to the Holy Land), first released in 1486, is likely one of the seminal books of early printing and is principally well known for the originality of its woodcuts. In Picturing event within the Early revealed e-book, Elizabeth Ross considers the Peregrinatio from numerous views to give an explanation for its price for the cultural background of the interval.
- The Archaeology of Anglo-Saxon England: Basic Readings (Basic Readings in Anglo-Saxon England)
- Handbook of Medieval Culture. Volume 3 (De Gruyter Reference)
- Thor: Myth to Marvel
- Pindar's Poetry, Patrons, and Festivals: From Archaic Greece to the Roman Empire
- Prose Unseens for A-Level Latin: A Guide through Roman History
Additional info for A Companion to Catullus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)